Municipality belonging to the Montes de Toledo Comarca, is located 25 kilometres south of the Imperial City. We reach it by road CM - 4013, passing through the municipalities of Arges and Layos.
Thumb sits in a Valley crossed by three creeks that carry its scarce water to Brook Guajaraz, tributary of the Tagus. This, along with wildlife and native flora in the area, makes that the municipality offers beautiful landscapes and recreational areas that allow tourists enjoy nature in its purest state.
Its origin is not known exactly but it shuffles the possibility to be built in the middle of the 12th century by the first settlers who settled in this place. The first news about the actual village of Pulgar, provide us various documents of transfers and sales of lands of the 12th century. The most ancient document of which has so one belonging to the year 1155 whereby count Pontius and Fernando Rodríguez, owners of half of the village of Pulgar, make delivery of it to different men.
In the year 1214 Enrique I donated this population along with all of its terms and rights to the Cathedral of Toledo and its Archbishop Rodrigo de Rada, so serve second-line in the defense of the Spanish border. In another document dated 1221 appears Genesa, dehesa now belonging to the joint of the thumb, with the title of Villar, signal that was still inhabited. Coming in the second half of the 15th century the city of Toledo, needed funds, sought to impose some taxes on the inhabitants of the village. These thumb refused and to settle the lawsuit was necessary to the concordia of date April 15, 1483.
The journey through the streets of the municipality offers the charms of a small town in the plain of the mountains. It highlights your Santo Domingo Guzman parish church, built on the remains of what must have been a tower or medieval fortress, which would be used for the defence of the so-called "Cordoba" road. According to several authors, this temple could be built by the Archbishop Don Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada, at the beginning of the 13th century. In its interior the apse is covered by a vault ovoidal, with eight nerves that CEN tro; the Altar is located in the apse, and possesses an altarpiece in Renaissance style (15th century and anonymous); in the sacristy, three large sealed stones pointed out the entrance to the possible Dungeon, which according to the elderly of the place, leading up to the sierra de Pulgar.
The Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de la Soledad is located, as in many towns, the entry of the municipality. It is a building of the XVI century, with rectangular and a nave with apse of three faces, of lesser height than the rest. The factory is masonry with courses of brick and Ashlar corner. It is reinforced with three buttresses on the south facade, none on the North facade. The apse is of Ashlar and is topped with cornice moldings. Stresses in the façade a simple belfry where the campaign stands and crowning it a cross rises.
Taking the road of Ajofrín, on the Meadow Brook, we find the Ajofrín bridge. It is a bridge of medieval origin of which is unknown its antiquity; perhaps from the 14th century should be routed in the same place where another Roman did. With two arches among which are inserted two breakwaters of triangular section, preserves a pavement of large slabs and a profile of vertical slabs of granite.
Note that thumb offers visitors the possibility to acquire a variety of craft products such as sausages, cheeses of sheep, olive oil, wine and sweets like cookies, perronillas, tea biscuits. They can equally enjoy the Castilian dishes linked, overwhelmingly, to major and minor hunting (garlic soup, breadcrumbs, pickled Partridge or stewed, gazpacho manchego, cardillos, poor potatoes.).