Menasalbas is located north of the Montes de Toledo. From Toledo city it is accessed either by the road CM-401 address Navahermosa or by the CM-4013 road towards Cuerva.
Its district spans 17.8 km2. Being crossed by the river Torcón collects water from streams Villapalos, Ivy and Jimena born on the northern slope of Montes de Toledo and maintain their watercourses to impound in the swamp of Torcón. Its terrain is mountainous south where one of the best oak forests in Spain.
Its main asset is livestock. Crosses its territory the Cañada Real Segovia that goes to Puerto Marches to cross the Andes by menasalbeña hamlet of Las Navillas.
Another of their business is industry, more specifically related to the wood and the manufacture of doors, tables, chairs and furniture in general. The preparation, processing and aging of wines and work of marble and stone, with the cultivation of vines and olive groves, are other occupations of the inhabitants. Despite this diverse economic base, the personality of Menasalbas is primarily that of a cattle town
On its place name variants exist, can mean mineral white or white streaks.
Alfonso VII repopulated the territory between the Tagus and the Montes de Toledo, fortified the northern slopes up castles and towers to defend and protect the colonization. It is in 1229 when we first met in a Mozarabic document Menasalbas name. This is the sale of some plots to hunt the "carrascal Menasalbas". Later this place a new population settles with families from restocking.
The increase in the social life of Menasalbas is manifested in the sixteenth century with a notable increase in the neighborhood. In 1565 he was awarded the title of villazgo and jurisdictional roll rises. At that time the population was around two thousand inhabitants and was erected in head arciprestazgo and party until 1831, a situation which lost the benefit of Navahermosa.
We started the visit at the tourist information point located on the ring road, from there take the main street headed to the Ethnological Museum (CITA previous visit). It was created with input from neighbors, offering a large collection of tools, objects and tools commonly used in pre-industrial agrarian society of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries that allow a visual tour of each of the facets of rural life traditional : grazing, agriculture, social life, home, business and trades that evoke and immerse the visitor in lifestyles and habits not very distant in time.
From here we headed to the main square of the town, in which a building stands out above the others, the Church of St. Mary Magdalene. This colossal temple was built in the sixteenth century, replacing other more modest, under the direction of architect Juan de Aguirre. It consists of three ships and has the peculiarity that has no tower because it was demolished in the shelling of the Carlist strife in the early 1830. In it we find a very slender chapel in impressive apse ribbed Gothic in its vault. On the main altar is the baroque altarpiece of the Adoration of the Magi, also highlighting the great twisted columns and picture of the Adoration of the Magi. In the center of the complex, a carving of Mary Magdalene, the patron saint of the parish.
In the old road to Toledo we find the Hermitage of San Sebastián of the eighteenth century and the Jurisdictional Rollo built in the late sixteenth century, when Menasalbas acquired the title of town to express their right to dispense justice and not rely on the stately jurisdiction.
Located 4 kilometers from the town, we find one of the oldest centers of population of the region, the Despoblado of Jumela, all that remains of the old village is the temple tower of the XVI century are preserved and the four walls their only ship. Attached to the church is still standing a house with his stable and henhouse. Of other buildings are only some scattered stones.
Menasalbas the road from San Pablo de los Montes, just 5 kilometers, we reached the area known as Tower Bridge, named after the bridge that he found. The place is an idyllic place to enjoy lush vegetation, composed mainly of oaks and ash trees. The road leads to Torcón Reservoir, where in addition to fishing, we enjoy a privileged location in the Montes de Toledo.
In the vicinity of the reservoir, in the same Cañada Real, a necropolis of about thirty anthropomorphic tombs carved into the granite rock it is located. On the way Jumela we can find other graves, tombs called Moro.
Continuing the trail through the Royal Gorge arrived at Navillas, in the municipality of Menasalbas.
The Navillas is nestled in one of the best groves of Spain, in the heart of the Montes de Toledo, causing him to retain the flavor and tranquility of the people before. Beautiful spot where you can go mountain biking, hiking or any sport related to nature, along the Royal Route, which follows the course of Marchés crystal clear stream between native vegetation of maples, ash, oak and rebollos. Most of its inhabitants are retired, the rest for agriculture, livestock or moving to work in other municipalities involved. Typical village houses are built with ashlar granite, sometimes revoked and whitewashed and sometimes seen, with two heights. The ground floor was used as housing and high as grain warehouse. Outside normally it gives a wall with a gate through which you access a courtyard, where are the offices and the main house.
Taking advantage of the beautiful surroundings of The Navillas tourists can venture into the region and stay in one of its cozy houses.