Manzaneque, small town of about 600 inhabitants, is located in the central-southern area of the province of Toledo. Accessible from Toledo is very simple, the Highway of the Vineyards CM-42 take Exit 27 towards Manzaneque, Los Yébenes, Mora (south). Just 40 kilometers away from the capital Manzaneque.
Its relief is mainly flat, except in the south where stand some of the foothills of the Montes de Toledo. Its municipal term limits with Los Yébenes, Mora and Orgaz. From west to east it is crossed by the stream Riansares, dry most of the year, which flows into the river Algodor.
But it seems that already existed in Visigothic, Manzaneque appears, first mentioned in 1220, when King Ferdinand III donated it to the subject Ferrand Yanez of Alfavilla with Manzanech name. many years passed until in 1450 the core was handed to Don Inigo de Avalos, who built the castle-fortress.
A mid-sixteenth century, depended Manzaneque Parish Priory of Santa Maria del Monte. And it appeared in the eighteenth century added to the charge of Yébenes of San Juan.
From the economic point of view, Manzaneque is based on agriculture and livestock. Within the first highlight typical dry crops: grapes, cereals and olive. The predominant herds are sheep and swine.
Inside buildings or unique monuments of this town, we highlight Manzaneque Castle, located in the main square of the town.
The Castle was built was built in the fourteenth century by Don Lorenzo Suarez de Figueroa Master of Santiago and Maria Orozco "ill-fated" and appearing their shields in front of the castle. He later went to Don Alvarez de Toledo, secretary of the Catholic Monarchs, and later to the counts of Cedillo, who eventually quit. The municipality of Manzaneque took ownership of the castle, using it as a file and municipal offices. In 1833 it was used by the villagers as a refuge during the Carlist wars.
Castle is a small square, with advanced body that protects the narrow entrance between two massive cubillos with a hole at the top, above the door, matacán profession. Had a moat and a fence with four round towers at the corners, now disappeared.
Another of the monuments that stand out in the city, is the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin. According to written sources, this church is a reconstruction of 1820 as the original was destroyed in the War of Independence. It is neoclassical and internally has a vault and basket arch that crowns the ledge. In the main entrance a grating shown with the cross of the Order of the Knights of St. John.
We can not fail to mention the Hermitage of San Sebastián, rectangular masonry factory highlighted sore between brick bands. On the facade of the street it has two holes with arches. It is under the patronage of San Sebastian, the people greatly adored since 1507, after a plague epidemics occurred in the area.
From the gastronomic point of view we emphasize that part of the area of production of four products that stand out for their quality: Cheese, wine, saffron and extra virgin olive oil.