- Category: Consuegra
Consuegra is a town since ancient times, which in Roman times was especially important denominating Consabura territory.
Due to its frontier character, was occupied several times by Arab and Christian history has been linked directly to his castle.
After the Christian occupation of the area, and especially the enclaves of Mora and Consuegra, the repopulation of these lands is produced by a formed mainly by conringente Toledo Mozarabic population. In this company, from the reign of Alfonso VII and Alfonso VIII, they charge a role the military orders, especially that of San Juan in Consuegra.
Consuegra, Cerro Calderico is a key point from which the road from Toledo to Cordoba is controlled via inherited from the ancient Roman road that linked Toledo Alhambra. It is at this high point where in the Islamic period Consuegra Castle, originally a small fort, that after the conquest of Toledo by the monarch Alfonso VI (1085), passed into Christian hands stands. After the Battle of Ucles, the castle fell back into power almorávides troops and eventually to regain Calatrava Alfonso VII and the region, takes this stronghold around the year 1147.
In 1183 the castle with all its terms, was donated by Alfonso VIII to the Order of San Juan, head convirtuiéndose in Grand Priory. This Order will defend the region of the Almohad attacks and from Consuegra repopulate the lands of this sector of La Mancha will be organized.
In 1785, King Charles III created a birthright for the infant D.Gabriel, linking the priory dignity and privileges, giving the mayor the Castle of Consuegra and the provision of the parishes of the towns Archbishop. Thus, eventually it became a priory Mayorazgo owned by royalty.
- Category: Consuegra
Leather and forging
The artisan tradition of Consuegra stands out for its quality and its quantity and variety. In the city you can find several classic forging workshops specializing in traditional forging Toledo, in which grates, doors, gates or biliary mo household as chairs or alcoves are made; Two workshops of stone carving, stained glass workshop, where it is realized, the tinted crystal les to the customs of the Middle Ages. Also Consuegra has many leather workshops, which made both hunting tools, farm implements reproductions or jackets or coats the material and even shoes as; four workshops of antique restoration and basket maker, which continues to use the different types of plant fibers to make baskets or other goods. No doubt many factories that allow tourists to know the traditional customs and practices when performing the typical products of this land.
The culinary tradition of Consuegra comes from two types of cuisine, La Mancha, and Montes de Toledo. Thus, from the traditiona them it porridge, crumbs, scraps on, is passed deer or wild boar.
Among the characteristic products Consuegra marzipan are. The town has five workshops, in which not only is this product, we also produce different kinds of sweets and traditional pastries.
Cheese is another product in this area is of great importance, and there are several factories where tourists can buy this product made by hand.
The wine has received over the past decade a strong momentum that has been rewarded with obtaining several awards at regional and national level.
Bodegas Castillo de Consuegra has the technical facilities and suitable to produce wines of the highest quality media. The technical team is responsible for monitoring the production of quality grapes through periodic field throughout the entire cycle of the vine visits, conducting controls ripening by periodic analysis Parameters such as sugar concentration, pH and total acidity. Once in the winery, mdiante the most careful techniques, and using modern machinery, is able to retain the potential and quality of grapes for excellent wines, both white and red. The best batches of wine, both white and red, bottled in the cellar, and in the case of red, those considered most appropriate, pass aging in barrels of French and American oak.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Denomination of Origebn "Montes de Toledo"
The olive groves of Montes de To Ledo is the cornicabra variety. The olive harvest is done by vareo system, obtaining a product with an acidity of between OO and 1.
Family business founded in 1947 by Carlos Felipe Rodríguez and continued by his son Eladio Rodriguez Calvo, he is engaged in the production and packaging of olive oil for 50 years.
- Category: Consuegra
• "Fiesta de la Rosa del Azafrán" (Declared of Regional Tourist Interest celebrate the last weekend in October)
• "Consuegra Medieval" (About August 15)
• "Semana Santa"
• Fiestas Patronales en Honor al Santísimo Cristo de la Vera Cruz (From September 20 to September 25)
- Category: Consuegra
Virgin Parish Church of Grace
They say it was the emperad Trajan who built the fort. Chances are that the fortress belongs to the early days of the Reconquista. It was ceded in times of Alfonso VIII to the Sovereign Military Order of St. John of Jerusalem being head of the Grand Priory of La Mancha, and has a double line of walls, three towers, one watchtower and ada looks outside. In 1813 it was destroyed during the war dela Independencia Espafiola. In 1962 the castle as part of the confiscation of 1836 was passed into private hands, it is on loan to the municipality. It began a period of rehabilitation, withan big boost in 1985 with the creation of the Workshop School. In this castle happened the Battle of Consuegra.
Of the 13 originals are preserved 11, which are: Bolero, where you will find the tourist office and wheat moledero preserved; Mambrino, Sancho, which preserves the sixteenth century machinery used in Saffron Party; Vista Alegre; Loja dondese Cardeño an already empty house, Piggy; Sparks; Knight of the Green Coat that has numerous versions of Don Quixote; Dapple which features an exhibition of wines; Espartero; which has an exhibition of Toledo crafts; and Clavilño, photographs and furniture Andorra.
Church of San Juan Bautista
It is a Latin cross, has a dome quadrangular porticoed side access, and is built with stone and brick. The interior houses two Renaissance covers. Preside over the presbytery five paintings of artist José de Bera ton from the late seventeenth century, representing the Baptism of the Lord, San Jose, San Joaquin and the remaining two cherubim with the attributes of passion. From this period dates the remodeling dirigid to by the royal architect Don Juan de Villanueva.
Church of the Holy Christ of the True Cross
Neo-Baroque style built after works that lasted over fifty years. It is a Latin cross; It stresses its white marble facade, with a mixture of baroque and neoclassical elements. Inside is the image of Christ of the Vera Cruz, Images Easter, and a museum of religious art
Church of thel Cristo de la Veracruz.
Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
A single nave temple with portico entrance. In the bottom of the apse it is a crypt-style mud ect, and factory remains rior to the temple. Inside is the ima gene Mary White and the remains of several blessed.
City Hall and the Plaza
City Hall, Renaissance style, was built in 1670. Next to this building is the clock tower. In this square, can be contemplated building "Brokers" seventeenth century with beautiful wooden balconies, typical of La Mancha, it was silo, granary and council. Currently houses the Municipal Archaeological Museum, with pieces ranging from the Neolithic to the nineteenth century. In this square, visitors also found with the building of Cordoba Diaz Foundation.
Square of España.
Other monuments and places of interest are the convent of the seventeenth century Francisca us, where there is currently a center for the elderly; Convent of the Discalced Carmelite Reverend Mothers of the sixteenth century, the House of Tercia or the Roman dam several kilometers from the city center, characterized by a length of 630 meters, on the Amarguillo River, the largest of the Roman dams preserved.